Australia, its history and intriguing information
A brief history
Human beings are considered to have arrived in Australia about 40,000 years ago from Southeast Asia. They are the first residents, called aborigines and they have descendant still today ( Source visa for Australia ). People was around a million before the European settlement and today around 350,000 people are in Australia.The Dutch sighted Australia in 1606 while the British landed in 1688. But it was Captain James Cooks maiden voyage that claimed the land for Great Britain. A British colony was set up in 1788 with about 161,000 English convicts transferred and settled there. Previous prisoners and free settlers set up six colonies which became states after. In 1901 these colonies were federated into the Commonwealth of Australia and a constitution was created that included the US federal traditions and also British parliamentary.
Some exciting details of Australia
Australia is counted one of the most exceptional spots on the planet. Right from the ridiculous Aussie laws, that might still exist, to the weird wild life, this country is filled with odd and amazing things. Though you may have heard of a number of the Australia facts, you may find here something new. So here are a few fascinating details of Australia
- 1. About 80% of Australian animals are distinctive – A few of the fascinating animals on earth are located in Australia that includes marsupials, kangaroos, koalas, platypus, and a variety of birds. You will find them in zoos or parks and can find them in the wild.
- 2. The huge rock Uluru extends up to 2.5 km underground – Uluru is sacred to the aboriginal tribes and has been listed by UNESCO as a heritage site. Amazingly about 2.5 km of this rock is thought to be underground and connected to the Olgas which emerges 16 milesaway.
- 3. More than 60 wine areas – Visiting Australia and not trying wine may not be a good option, although with such a wide variety it will be hard to choose among them. There are many vineyards stretched across the continent and you can get to those areas to relish the spectacular landscape.
- 4. Biggest eco-system on earth – The Great Barrier Reef comprises of about 2500 reefs which are noticeable from place. Scuba diving and snorkeling among the turtles and colorful fishes are the main highlights for a visit to Australia.
- 5. More snow than Swiss Alps – While a lot of people check out Australia for brilliant beaches, skiing enthusiasts visit the Australian Alps. Snowfall begins in June and continues till September which makes the place ideal for skiing.
- 6. Worlds biggest sand island – The sandy shores are the highlight of Fraser Island, so jump on a boat and take a look at the delights of this paradise. It wonderful to find a dingo and this island has around 150 of them. Keep a safe distance because they are wild and aggressive.
- 7. Worlds biggest war memorial – Scenic and amazing landscapes along the route will get you captivated while driving on the Great Ocean Road. The road was constructed as a memorial by the soldiers returning to their land after World War – 1.
So these were a few of the fascinating information about Australia and if you wish to experience more of such amazing stuff, pack your bag and pay a visit to this wonderful spot.